Monday, November 24, 2014

What!? IWTYWIMIYGMAD


Have y'all seen this? It's a list made by a We Hate Gays, I mean Chick-fil-A manager. It's compiled of a bunch of words and phrases he didn't want the employees using while on the clock. Slang really. And although I don't eat there often, not that I don't enjoy the food but I TRY not to support companies that don't support folks like myself, (Occasionally I succumb to temptation regardless...Fat girl problems are the worst.), I can absolutely appreciate where this manager was coming from. 

Slang has been around since the beginning of time. With each new generations comes the use of new words.

In the 20's it was:
Oh Applesauce! = Oh damn!
Hen coop = Hair salon
Big Cheese = Boss man

In the 50's:
Bad = Good
Get bent = Drop dead or go to hell
No sweat = No problem

And the 90's:
Let's dip = We're leaving
Bling = Jewelry
Going postal = Going crazy (We thank the postal service for that one.)

Slang in and of itself isn't a bad thing. We progress as a society and as we do, each generation adds to our vocabulary. Sometimes they give us a few good words that stick around like "cool", but it seems as society advances, slang has suddenly taken a HUGE step back. My own opinion is that technology is making people lazy and dumbing folks down. Thank God for Urban Dictionary or I would be completely lost when trying to decipher my daughters messages.

On top of slang we now deal with text talk as well, which evidently is not JUST for texting.

I think I'm a pretty understanding parent for the most part. I know at my daughters age she's going to curse so she's permitted to do so in front of me on the condition that she uses terms in the correct way and not towards people. She's allowed to say, "The girl bitched and complained all day long." She is NOT allowed to say, "You're being a bitch." (Unless of course she's just looking for a long stay in a boring room with no electricity. She can say whatever she wants if she's willing to accept the consequences.)

I get that her generation is going to say some things that make no sense to me bruh, (Thanks Dog), or that I'll have to go to Urban Dictionary to figure out. It's just the change of times and we can change with it or not. I'm nosey so I like to know what people are talking about, but I'll admit, I have a list of my own of words and phrases that drives me nuts. (See how I used slang there to convey what I'm saying without you having to look it up? You can't REALLY drive someone nuts. Unless you're going to a town called Nuts and I don't know where that's at.) I feel like every time I hear these things my brain shrinks a little.

Some things are the same as the manager above, but there's a few not on there as well. So here's some current day slang that makes me want to live in the 50's.

1. Nigga = That's my nigga yo. (Let's face it. This word was derived from the word nigger. I don't give a rats ass if you're white, black, purple or orange. It's a racist term. The fact that African Americans choose to use this word is utterly ridiculous to me. They oughta feel ashamed of themselves. The fact that others use it makes me wonder if they have a shred of decency. And I'll be damned if it's going to come out of my child's mouth.)

2. Are you mad or naw? = Self explanatory and fucking dumb. If the answer is no, people will just say no. And WTF is there purpose of replacing NO with NAW? My dog likes to NAW on her bone. Dumb asses. P.S. I know that what my dog does is spelled g-n-a-w. I wish she'd gnaw the foot off folks who say naw.

3. All up in my feelings/Feelin some sorta way = It's upset and/or pissed me off. This one isn't SO bad. I've been known to say it myself. Mostly because when folks my age use current day slang it can sometimes be funny. We simply aren't cool no matter how hard we pretend to be. But it can be hilarious to see a teens reaction when an adult throws their terms back at them and even manages to use them in proper context.

Speaking of proper context...

4. THOT = That hoe over there. STUPIDEST FUCKING SLANG OF ALL TIME. That hoe over there? Are you serious!? There is NO way to use this term and have it sound right. "OMG, look at that THOT." 
Hey Einstein...you just said THAT twice! You would have to say "Look at thot." and that sounds even worse. How about just saying that bitch is a hoe and keep it moving!?

5. Ish = Kind of. This one isn't so bad either. I've never said it because it's not a complete word. I had never even heard it until about 2 months ago when my step-daughter came home from her Moms and said it. In and of itself, it's not TERRIBLE, but it annoys ME and therefore is off limits to my girls. Does it bother them that they aren't allowed to say it? Ish.

6. Totes = Totally. I've seen just as many folks my age say this as teens. This one doesn't really bother me when my children say it. I find it to be a completely acceptable term for THEIR AGE GROUP. When folks MY AGE say it...I just SMFH. (I know I'm being hypocritical. Remember how I told y'all this is MY world?)

7. Cray Cray = Crazy See my explanation for #6. ^

8. Thirsty = Desperate. Another I've used myself to let my daughter know I'm just as smart as she is. Actually, I think one of her friends had to tell me what it meant. When I'm thirsty, I get myself some water. FYI, soda does nothing to truly quench thirst. Drink more water people. It's good for you. Doesn't make you seem as ignorant as some of these words do.

P.S. LOL worked just fine. There was no reason to add BOL. And if you aren't REALLY busting out laughing, why say you are? 

P.S. #2 The Ebola one on the managers list is funny as shit. I don't care who you are.

What current slang makes you want to give yourself a swirly so you can flush the nonsense out of your brain?

No comments:

Post a Comment